Summer Skin Care for Hydrated Skin!
Gorgeous, smooth, glowing, hydrated skin, YES PLEASE! Well cared for and hydrated skin radiates vibrant health, vitality, and beauty. More than that, well cared for skin helps protect us. The healthier the skin, the more it absorbs critical vitamins and nutrients.
Our skin is the largest organ in our body. The better we care for our skin, the better it will care for our overall health. Skin care is a critical component in cellular renewal and anti-aging.
Keep in mind that our skin absorbs everything that we put on it, as well as what we bath it in, and the environment it lives in. Avoiding chemicals in your make-up and skin care products is a definite must. For this reason, we put together 5 quick tips & tricks for hydrated skin you can do from home that are natural and effective for hydrated skin.
1. Exfoliate & remove dead skin.
Exfoliating and removing dead skin cells once or twice a week can greatly impact the way your skin soaks up the products you use in your daily routine. Removing the dead skin cells also promotes a higher cell turnover which promotes healthier, clearer, brighter skin! We are including a great DIY recipe we picked up from Michelle Phan’s blog. For whole body care, we highly recommend frequent skin brushing.
Try this DIY masque at home:
- Make a serving of oatmeal as directed (you won’t need more than about ½ cup dry oats to make a mask, so prepare more if you plan to save for later or use during a girls night!) either with water or milk if you’d like the added vitamins.
- Stir in a spoonful of finely chopped or ground almonds, depending on how gentle or intense you want your exfoliant to be.
- Mix in a teaspoon of honey.
- Add more water if it gets too thick, then apply to your face. Leave on for 10 minutes and rinse with cool water to close up pores and leave your skin feeling fresh and renewed!
2. Turn down your shower temperature.
Studies have shown that taking showers above a lukewarm (110 deg) temperature can result in your natural body oils being stripped causing dry, itchy skin and can eventually lead to eczema. Keep your showers at a comfortable temperature, if your skin is turning red, turn it down!
3. Add avocados to your routine in the kitchen and in the bathroom.
Avocados are a great source of monounsaturated fat, which means they will really help your skin stay moisturized. Avocados are packed with nutritional vitamins including vitamins C and E! Vitamin E is a wonderful vitamin for skin hydration. Vitamin C is known to promote your skins elasticity and brighten! We recommend lots of guacamole or add avocados to top salads or use in place of cheese with crackers. We picked up this great avocado masque from Home Remedies Blogger.
Try this DIY Avocado and Coconut Oil masque for hydrated skin:
1/2 tsp honey
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 ripe avocado
Warm up the coconut oil in a dish using the microwave (even better to just warm it over the stove carefully). This is because the coconut oil needs to be in liquid form to work for this homemade face treatment.
Once you have warmed the coconut oil, and it is a liquid, mash the avocado in a bowl using a fork and add the coconut oil and honey. Mix well.
Before applying this mask to your face, wash your face with warm water. Using your clean fingertips, apply this homemade face mask to your dry skin and let it set for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off properly with warm water and pat dry when you’re done. Tone and moisturize as usual.
Your skin should feel smooth and moisturized afterwards.
4. Use clean and simple skin care products.
Here at Zama we live by Eminence Organics Skin Care products! The reason is simple; Eminence believes in providing the best natural skin care products possible. Their products are proudly free of parabens, animal by-products, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfates, harmful colorants and fragrances, mineral oils, petroleum, and other harsh cosmetic chemicals.
Keep your skin hydrated with our top sellers!
Stone Crop Hydrating Mist – A revitalizing and healing tonique for all skin types, particularly uneven skin types. For use with Sun Defense Minerals to increase your skin’s hydration level and to leave it looking smooth and moisturized.
Bright Skin Moisturizer – Protect your skin while brightening with stone crop, bearberry, GigaWhite™ and a Natural Hydroquinone Alternative. Lighten the appearance of dark spots while protecting against future damage with the built-in broad spectrum SPF.
5. Drink More Water!
Drinking an adequate amount of water daily is important for overall good health! Water helps our bodies digestion system and circulation in addition to many other benefits, but did you know it also helps in the appearance of your skin?
It does! You can see a difference in your skin with additional intake of water such as complexion, brightness, and the overall health of your skin. Skin is made up cells and just like all of the other cells in our body, they are made up of water. Drinking 8 or more 8 oz. glasses of water per day will help you obtain that beautiful glow everyone will envy!
Tips for Summer:
- Sunscreen! Find a gentle sunscreen that is gentle and moisturizing for your face. And, here’s the trick: you have to use it! Most people know to use sunscreen, but many out there still aren’t. Some ideas to help get this much needed care on your face: put facial sunscreen in your car, your purse, or any where besides your bathroom cupboard to make it easier to use throughout the day. Hands down, our favorite sunscreens come from Eminence. Here is a guide for all their options. Read here for some great tips on effective sunscreen use!
- Tan with purpose. Fresh air, sunlight, vitamin D, and being active are all critical to your overall health. Plan short stints in the sun to develop a base tan to help prevent burning and always aim to prevent over exposure. Let your body’s own natural defense mechanisms help keep your skin radiant and healthy.
- Get a professional facial! Summer is no joke on your skin. Work with a professional Esthetician to help you with your own personal skin care needs. We highly recommend coming in monthly during the summer months to repair against all the extra elements and prevent unwanted skin damage.